Whether you are meeting your partner’s parents or extended family for the first time, you might be stressing out about impressing them. If you are, hopefully this list will help you out a little.
1. Stop trying. The harder you try to impress them, the less genuine and sincere you will be. You’ll come off like a jerk and a fake. So stop trying, or at least stop trying so hard.
2. Be yourself. Assuming you are a kind, loving, and helpful person – just be yourself. If you’re not any of those, count your blessing that you actually found someone who wants you to meet their family.
3. Offer to help. Offering to help is the easiest way to impress the in-laws. You can offer to help cook, clean, serve, pick-up, run an errand, or anything else. The simple gesture of offering your services shows people that you are outgoing and kind. Nice work.
4. Avoid the booze. I can’t say I’ve always been successful at this, but it would be best to avoid the booze while you’re spending time with people who haven’t had the chance to appreciate your drunken personality yet. Give them time.
5. Leave or send a thank you note. If they have you over for dinner or let you stay at their house, leaving or sending a thank you note is a very thoughtful and respectful gesture. It shows them how appreciative and thoughtful you are. Way to go.